Sunday, April 28, 2013

Life's Latest Happenings


I realize that it’s been a while since I gave you all an update on my current adventures. Well, since the majority of my days have been divided into three main activities (subbing, coaching, and support raising) I’ll give you an update in all three categories.

Subbing
As I’m sure you all can imagine, subbing isn’t always the world’s greatest job. There are so many days when one or two kids (…or, let’s be honest, the entire class…) decides that they are going to make your life as difficult as possible. Of course, these days are mostly spent counting the seconds until the bell rings…funny how students aren’t the only ones who do that!
On the flip side, subbing has also been full of many joys and moments of encouragement. This past Friday, I had the chance to sub at one of the local middle schools. It was one of those days where the office calls in about 8-10 subs and they all take rotations throughout the building, covering for different teachers at different times. They call this type of sub job a “vacancy.” It’s typically a pretty nice gig since you almost always get more than one planning period. ;) Well, Friday was my first time subbing for one of these vacancy jobs. I was told that due to a small gap in the schedule, I would have an hour lunch break, which is, of course, double the usual 30 minute break! I spent my extra time hanging out with the other substitutes and swapping stories about all of our subbing adventures (and misadventures!) It's always fun to find things in common with new friends. :)
Other bits of encouragement that I have found throughout my subbing experiences typically come from the students themselves. Comments like, “I remember you! You’re my favorite sub!” or “Why are you so nice? You’re like the nicest sub ever!” Not to mention, the ever-popular, somewhat cryptic remark, “It’s you again!” This simple exclamation is almost inevitably followed by a none-too-subtle point in my direction and a wide-eyed stare. I still have yet to determine if this is a positive comment, but since they always seem slightly excited, I’m assuming it’s a good thing.

Coaching
For those of you that don’t already know, track meets are notorious for being obnoxiously long and hopelessly behind schedule. I’ll admit that after being spoiled for 5 years by the NCAA with it’s fancy time schedules and exact start times like 12:08pm, I have forgotten what real West Virginia middle school track is like. Here are some things I have re-learned… As a rule, assume the track meet will start at least 45 minutes behind schedule, assume it will take well over an hour to run all heats of the open 100 meter dash, and if your kids are in flight 3 of the long jump, they probably won’t be jumping until after dark. Also, be sure to pack a lunch…and a snack…and a dinner.
Even though it might sound like I’m complaining, in truth, I love to coach. It really is a joy to get to work with such a fine bunch of hard-working kids. I love being able to give back a little of what I know about running, to talk about race strategy with the kids, to plan new workouts, and to have the opportunity to pray together before a race. I’m really going to miss them next year!

Support Raising
I have some exciting news on the support raising front! God has brought me up to about 50% in one-time gifts and just about 20% in monthly support! This is such great news! Thank you, thank you, thank you to those who have already given to be a part of my teaching ministry in Germany! Though I have still not crested the support mountain, I know that with each step I get closer and closer to reaching the goal. God is good and I thank you for choosing to be a part of my journey! If you haven’t yet had a chance to give, please check out the “Join My Team” page for more info on how to get involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment